Saturday, May 12, 2007

All Smocked Up!

As you can see, I have been busily smocking on Bluebonnet. Last night I finished the smocking and this morning I added the little cable flowerettes in the large diamonds:




This was a very fast smock. Either it was easy to smock, or I benefited from still not having cable TV. With no distractions, this was super fast and fun. I really like the floss colors, too, so that probably had something to do with it. This fabric came from Joann's and it is a nice firm closely woven 100% cotton. Nice stuff.

Just a note on this pattern. The front skirt pieces have the cutouts for the armholes, but I chose not to do it that way. It is much easier to run a straight edge through a pleater, so why torture myself by trying to get that armhole curve to feed evenly through the pleater?

I just tore the front skirt to the length I needed, marked off the armhole curve, and THEN ran it through the pleater. In the photo below, you can see the drawn curve. You can also tell that I removed the pleater threads from the curved piece that will later be cut away. And I ran my smocking into the seam allowance in that area.




I'm hoping to get in some construction time on this little dress later today. I also plan to cut out my next project, the baby bubble I posted a picture of the other day.


Why haven't I cut it out already? Because this person has taken over my cutting table with a total re-do of a Spanish II project. These Random Teenagers, why don't they listen to their mamas and do it right the first time?





Hope you have more fun this weekend than he will!

2 comments:

CandlebyNight said...

It is beautiful as usual. Now for my questions. When you pleat something do you add fabric to the width to make more pleats? I ask because I'm noticing my smocking looks looser than yours and I think it is because I have fewer pleats. KWIM?

And at some point could you do a step by step picture process of how you did the armhole cutout?

I don't know how many times I've thought of using the title "all smocked up" on my blog.

Anonymous said...

His t-shirt is SO apropos! At least the person taking over your space is a cutie. :)

Lovely smocking!