Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Did Jamaica Nuff Ruffles?

I've been ruffling and sewing away on these bloomers, and now they are done! See?





That's going to be the cutest little baby behind in the South, don't you think?


A construction detail on these is the elastic application on the legs. I used 1/4 inch elastic and set my zigzag to the widest width, with a regular stitch length. After taking a few straight stitches at the beginning to anchor the elastic, I zigged and zagged about 3/4 inch around the leg openings, being careful not to stitch through the elastic. By stitching over it, the elastic is movable, just as if it was inside a regular casing. I really like this trick. Next time I think I'll try it with 1/8 inch elastic, just to see how well that would work. Here's how it looks from the outside:





And here's how it looks from the inside:




This is the finish you see in Ready To Wear--and we can do it, too!
After everything was done, Jamaica wanted to go out on the back porch and admire the begonias. Here she is, mid-swing in a garden chair:

Once she quit petting the cat, I caught this shot from the back:



Now that's cute, yall. And I think I made enough ruffles for this one--eleven!
Bluebonnet
Remember Bluebonnet? No? Well, here it is again:



While I was pondering what to cut up next, I realized that Bluebonnet had posed herself atop this pattern, and was already picking out embroidery floss!

Who am I to argue? I'm going to cut it out, of course.

3 comments:

CandlebyNight said...

I love the Mary Dee Pattern. I saw it done once in Sew Beautiful done in red corduroy. I may have to buy it. Are you going to make the blouse? I love the puffed sleeves.
Can't wait to see the process.

Juliane said...

Hi Candle!
Right now I'm not planning on making the blouse, just the jumper to be worn as a sundress. I love the way the back crosses over and buttons.
Juliane

Anonymous said...

Jamaica is incredibly cute - you've inspired me to make something similar! I adore those ruffles everywhere! And the Bluebonnet jumper is a really delightful pattern. I haven't tried smocking yet - I keep buying Australian Smocking but haven't actually made anything - not enough patience for the embroidery. Your work is really inspiring me though - thanks!