Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Kopy Kats, Part 3

Gee, after that million word post and all that math yesterday, I'm surprised yall are still here. I promise not to do that today.

But if you really want to know about Jamaica.........

I made parts 2, 3, and 4 of the bodice front in exactly the same manner as part 1.

There was one minor difference, but it's not something that presents a challenge if you are a smocker. That was the armhole shaping on part 2.

See how the ruffle on the second part follows the shape of the armhole? I gathered my ruffle to fit the bottom width of part 2, then basted across the top edge. Then I flipped it over and basted along the armhole--just like a smocked bodice. Finally, I just trimmed off the ruffle to match the armhole curve. See?





I really like this top. We may have to go out and have ice cream together.

You can see the seam allowance peeking out from under the ruffles above. Except for the bottom piece (part 4). That required a small adustment, which I'll explain later.

Next I sewed the four pieces together.

Then I sewed the side seams.

I serged one end of a long strip cut to the width of the top front facing, pinned on the strap, and stitched straight across the top edge:




I turned the top facing to the inside and pressed it, then cut off the extra on the sides (to match the arm curve). I trimmed the seam and edgestitched it.

I sewed the straps onto the back, then turned under the top edge of the back and added a narrow hem.

I folded my bias strips for the armholes in half, wrong sides together, and pinned it to the armholes, like so:




In this next shot you can see that I just folded under about 3/8 inch at the end of each bias strip (only one is done so far) and sewed it to the bodice:





Now I need to trim that seam, press it to the inside, and stitch it down.

Now back to the problem I found with the bottom piece of the bodice--the ruffles were too long and were going to get caught up in the narrow hem. So I used my friend, Mr. Seam Ripper, and took out about an inch of the side seams.

Then I put a little pleat in the ruffle where it joined the side seam, narrow hemmed it, and lookee here!




A neat little solution to the problem, don't you think?

All I need to do now is stitch down the bias binding, make 3 buttonholes, and sew on the buttons!


A-Line Challenge, Anyone?

It has occured to me that you could use a commercial pattern for an A-line dress or top, make a few adjustments, and have this top in any size your little heart desires. If anyone is interested in this, say so and I'll do it. Go ahead and dig out your basic plain-Jane A-line pattern.

No math, I promise (that's a lie, and yall know it). Of course there will be math. That's why we have all these measuring devices, isn't it?

No comments: