Monday, August 27, 2007

No More Almonds

Oh, woe is me. What an awful last few days. Want to lose 5 lbs in 7 days? Chomp down on whole almonds like I did, and break a molar. Let the molar be one that has a $$$ porcelain crown on it, too. And let the break be in the dead center of the molar, so that the fracture goes straight down the middle of the tooth. And let your molar have the roots of Alex Haley. They will be so extensive, and so deep, and so embedded that when they come out, two of them will bring little pieces of your jawbone with them.

My dentist had that "look" on his face when he examined me. You know the one. That look that means "Gosh, I could write a Pain Filled Dentistry journal article on this one. Hmmm, has she signed a release form yet? Definitely gonna need a signature.....". That look also means "I'm not touching this one with a ten-foot pole. A highly sharpened dental tool, yes, but a ten-foot pole? No way." That look that also means "I'm sending her to one of the Ontist Guys." That look that is gonna cost you some big bucks.

So off I went to the Ontist Guy. He's nice enough, probably mid-fifties, looks like he should know what he's doing, so I'm all A-Okay. Until I see his forearms. This guy has the forearms of a gorilla. That's when I start to get a little panicky.

But I should have saved all that panic for when he actually started working on me. He pulled, he drilled, he pulled, he gave me umpteen shots, and finally he just started cutting on me. So he cuts enough to see that the problem is that the lovely roots are so near/into/whatever my jawbone that they don't want to come out. He warns me first, then uses his giant arm muscules and YANKS. I didn't know whether to pass out or wet my pants. So I did neither.

I leave with stitches, a swollen face and neck, and a prescription for Vicodin. I high-tail it home, hoping against hope that I can make it home and get my prescription filled before the pain shots wear off. Didn't happen. Since I had a 1 1/2 hour drive home, I was almost seeing double by the time I made it in the back door.

And the Vicodin? I took one and it didn't even PHASE the pain. I have an extremely high pain tolerance--I birthed three of these children with nothing at all (not by choice, mind you, it just happened that they wanted to be born RIGHT THEN!!). So I rarely take anything for pain. I don't know if the pain is beyond the level of the drug, or if this particular pain med just doesn't work with my body.

Before all this happened I did finish the sweater I was knitting. I ended up knitting three fronts, since the first two were both right fronts. So I raveled and reknit. I had planned on blocking the pieces over the weekend but that definitely didn't happen.

I had also started the little Noro sleeveless sweater and had taken pictures. But Blogger must have a mouthache, too, since I can't post any pictures.

I'm holding out hope that tomorrow will be a better day.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never have liked almonds anyway...

Sorry you feel so bad and are in so much pain.

best wishes for a quick recovery!

(hug)

gww

patsijean said...

Last time I had a tooth extracted, last molar, upper right, also very difficult extraction, my dentist told me to take the Vicodin BEFORE the shots wore off. My husband drove me, I took the pill ASAP. Works much better that way: seems to keep the nerves fooled, at least for a while. You could not do that this time and I am so sorry for you. Hurts like .......

Tany said...

I wish you a quick recovery... It sounds like you went through a terrible experience. Just imagining the drill gives me the creeps...

Me said...

Oh, how terrible. I hate dentists and painful dentist stories! Do love your blog though and will offer up a prayer for a pain free evening for you.

CandlebyNight said...

Hey Juliane sorry to read you are in pain. I hope your feeling better by now.

I have a question for you. I was looking at the latest issue of AS&E. There is a sweet, pink, wool flannel baby coat and bonnet. It made me wonder about making a smocked poncho. Ever thought about it? I have several old poncho patterns but have no idea how to go about adding to them for the smocking. Any ideas?

CandlebyNight said...

I forgot to add...I thought maybe it would be along the lines of making a bishop. I'm imagining it for a little girl of 6 in a navy blue wool flannel perhaps with beaded smocking.