Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Making A Muslin



I've made a muslin of Simplicity 3789, using View B for the body and the sleeves for View C. I cut a size 18. This pattern comes with separate pattern pieces for cup sizes, and I used a D cup. I also lengthened the sleeves 1 inch. Here it is on the hanger:








Definitely doesn't look like much on a hanger, does it?

And here is a detail of the sleeve:





I really like the pleats on the sleeves on this pattern. Ignore the pink thread, please. I just basted this whole thing together and used up leftover bobbins.
Gee whiz, I didn't realize this was going to be an X-Rated photo, but here it is on me, from the front:


Problems I see (and feel):
  • the sleeve caps are sitting on my arm, not at the shoulder where they are supposed to be
  • the armholes feel really tight--this could be because I didn't trim and clip the armhole seam yet so I could alter if necessary
  • it feels really snug around the body
  • there's a ton of ease in the sleeve caps
  • the sleeves are a tad too long (maybe 3/8 inch)
And from the back:


See the horizontal lines where it is pulling? That means it's too tight. And my shoulders aren't weird--they look the same to me in the mirror. It's amazing the things you can see in a photo that you don't see when you look in the mirror!
Good thing I just basted this together, isn't it? I'm going to take the sleeves out and raise them a bit. Also going to let out the side seams a bit while I'm at it. Then I'll take another look at it.

2 comments:

kate said...

I love that you share your process here! I always learn a lot from these posts. Thanks!

MadeByAmanda said...

Wow. I'm impressed. I've never made a real muslin. I just make the pattern in a cheap fabric to see if it needs tweaking. I'm too impatient I guess.