Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Smocking Diamonds

Thank you for the nice comments on this little baby dress. It is really starting to grow on me!

I have begun the diamond shapes on the bishop smocking. Like I said before, this is a very simple design that gives a lot of punch if worked in one color. Here it is so far:




I hope to finish the smocking this afternoon while the laundry goes round and round. I also need to smock the sleeves, which shouldn't take very long.



The actual smocking design is from this book, The Best of Australian Smocking and Embroidery:




I love this book. If you don't have it already, put it on your Christmas list. There are 40 smocking designs from the first eleven issues of AS&E, along with sections on color, victorian color schemes, smocking on florals, and much more. I want to make everything in this book. It is worth buying simply to look at the beautiful dresses even if you don't smock. There are no dress patterns, but each design is based on a square yoke dress or a bishop, and the smocking patterns are interpeted for each style of dress. Perfect if you have a baby girl with an older sister. I bought mine from the lovely ladies at Sweet Treasures. Yes, they will mail order. (No, I'm not affiliated with them, just a delighted customer.)

4 comments:

Shannon said...

This is looking gorgeous. I love it! I can't wait to see it finished. (Not to rush you or anything!) And Frolic was absolutely beautiful, too. I loved the picture of the Princess dancing on the table. Princesses should be able to dance wherever they want!

Shannon F

CandlebyNight said...

Absolutely beautiful! I was wondering though...on the first line of smocking, the line that is a more orangy gold, how come it doesn't go all the way around the neck on the left side?

Juliane said...

Candle, it does go all the way around now. I just did part of it to see if I like the color. Thanks for the compliment!

Anonymous said...

You are going to love this dress when it is finished. I used the same plate on a navy floral smocked in a pale purple. Both my girlies enjoyed wearing it. the dress is still one of my favorites. Have fun with it.