Sunday, November 25, 2007

If Only YOUR Sister Could Cook Like This...

We spent Thanksgiving Day at my sister's house again this year. She hosts the entire family (and whoever else might show up) out in the country at Thanksgiving every year. She puts out a spread to feed anywhere from 20 to 35 people every year, and she always has enough food for dinner AND supper. Just look at what we had to eat, yall:

The Feast

Deep Fried Turkey
Sugar Cured Ham
Chicken and Dumplings
Cornbread Dressing
Giblet Gravy
Home Grown Corn
Broccoli Casserole
Sweet Potato Souffle
Zipper Peas
Cranberry Sauce
Deviled Eggs
Glazed Fruit Salad
Baked Rolls
Pound Cake
Pecan Pie
Banana Pudding
...and I probably left something out. It is all homemade food, too, no cooking out of a can or box.
She cooks like this all the time. Her family lives on a farm and they tend to grow food there, so she tends to cook it, and then everybody tends to eat a lot of it. We eat so much that the grownups sprawl out wherever they can afterwards and nap while the Random Teenagers and Countless Cousins play football in the yard. People tend to hang around in her kitchen all the time.
She's one of the things in my life I'm thankful for.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of visits to an aunt of mine who died this year. She always had a large table filled with all sorts of delicious food that she had cooked. Didn't believe in microwave ovens or canned or boxed food. Your blog made me smile and think of her very affectionately. Thank you!

lilymarlene said...

I do have a wonderful sister. We're a year apart in age so consequently have always known one another. I thank my Mum silently every day for her. She is my greatest friend, and I couldn't live without her!