Saturday, February 2, 2008

Twirl-The Bodice

It turns out that I spoke too soon yesterday. The Force was not with me; instead, The Empire took the day. I had serger problems. Or rather I had a mental problem. At any rate, like An Idiot I ran out of thread on the serger on not just one, but two bobbins. So I spent a couple of hours trying to rethread the thing, only to have it lock up with a humongous knot of thread.

This morning the world is a more beautiful place. When I woke up, I just knew that I had the looper threaded incorrectly. Three minutes later I was back in business again. I'm telling yall, sleep is just magical!

So since I couldn't use the serger, I made this little purple bodice. Here's the front:





And here's the back:




Weird how a flash changes colors, isn't it? It looks like I used red thread, but I didn't. And that little bit of white in that top buttonhole is a piece of basting thread that wants to be visited by Mr. Tweezers. Where is he, anyway? The last time I saw him, he was getting cozy with Little Miss Thread Snips, and she's gone to. They probably ran of to Vegas.

This is a good place to point out that yes, indeed, I have already worked the buttonholes. I try to put in the buttonholes on any garment at the earliest point in the contruction process. Buttonholes usually cause me the most aggravation, so if I can put those bad boys in without cross seams, collars, bands, and skirts in the way, I do. It makes me happier, and we all know that sewing makes us happy. That's the whole point, isn't it?

This will become the skirt ruffles. I'm starting off with 450 inches. I'm off to make rolled hems!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Buttonholes give you problems??? Didn't I read somewhere that you own a Bernina??? Once I got mine, my buttonhole problems were over. Well. . . . alright, I agree that the foot thingy DOES have to stay flat, and they can't be too close to any seam, and YES those seams should be trimmed as close as possible. Hmmmmm I see where you're comming from.

Anonymous said...

This has NOTHING to do the blog entry, but I just thought of you, and your New Year "resolution"(?) to smock with beads when I saw this: An article was in the local paper here concerning this couple and their conjoined twins. If you go here: http://www.emmaandtaylorbailey.blogspot.com/, you will see the MOST AMAZING christening gowns that are smocked, beaded, and somehow the gowns are conjoined too! Bishops aren't my favorite to pleat, I couldn't imagine trying to pleat that, could you? Oh my, what a labor of love that was -- in more ways than one, if you read the blog