Friday, February 1, 2008

Twirl-The Real Thing, At Last

I do have the final version of the skirt pattern for Twirl. The red lines are the new and improved ruffle markings:




And I do have a shot of the back of the final sample. I only put ruffles on the back (so many strips!) and I double gathered what will become the bottom treatment. I did all this to check the final length.




Here's a close up shot of the bottom part pulled apart. Sorry it's such a wonky photo, but you get the idea:





Cute, huh? I think this will work. As always, holler at me, people, with your comments.

And for the oh-so-curious, here's the fabric choices for Twirl--royal purple, hot pink, and purple crinoline, just in case:




And even though I'm not at school today, this old dog learned a new trick this morning. It was serendipity, yall. I had planned to serge the ruffle edges, and wound regular sewing thread on bobbins to use on the serger since I couldn't find regular serging thread to match my fabric. As luck would have it, I managed to unthread one of the little doohickeys in the serger. So I dug out the serger manual, and Lo And Behold, it fell open to a page that said if you flip this one teeny little lever, the serger will AUTOMATICALLY convert to a ROLLED HEM! With no magic required! Or special pressure feet! Or anything else!

See?




I'm totally excited. Now I can roll hem all those ruffle edges instead of serging them.

The Force Is With Me.

2 comments:

MadeByAmanda said...

Wow. That's something to be proud of. By the way, I tagged you on my blog.

Jen said...

MUCH better on the ruffles. Hey, you know I have a serger that does that too! Is yours an Elna?

Can't wait to see what this looks like. You've inspired me to whine about how much I want to sew today (as opposed to paint). Help me, Obi-Wan, you're my only hope!