Saturday, September 19, 2009

Creating a Wardrobe, part 1

I've been thinking a lot lately about about the SWAPpers out there, and it occured to me that many women entering the workforce (or changing careers) might suddenly have a need for a new wardrobe for a new job. Perhaps a promotion, a change to an authority position, or simply transitioning from a SAHM to a working girl. At any rate, I know a couple of folks who are faced with the problem of changing a wardrobe to fit a new job, and I thought it would present some major problems if one had to suddenly start completely over.





So I've been thinking a lot about how I would start over with a wardrobe. Given limited time (to buy or make) and money for a new wardrobe, essentially the question is where to start.





So this has been cooking along in my little brain for a while and then I happened across this in Time magazine. It is a painting by Wassily Kadinsky, created around 1911:





The more I looked at it, the more colors I noticed. Blues from midnight to royal to sky to palest ice; red from burgundies to rose to pinks, purples, periwinkles, orchids, chocolates, golds, olive green.

Look how many different colors are present. Then notice that they all work together.

So I've decided that a painting that one likes could be used as inspiration for a new wardrobe, just as it could be used as the starting point for decorating a room in your home.

Anyone done this before?

No comments: