Saturday, January 8, 2011

Muslin 2, Advance 8524

I started over with Muslin 2 for Advance 8524. This time, I added another extra inch in bodice length and PLENTY of room for the side seams. Here it is, still needing more work:

In the above picture I have lowered the side darts 1 and 1/2 inches and shortened the waistline darts 1/2 inch.

In this photo you can see that I have too much room above the bust.

Way too much fabric. Like most women, my upper chest area is sort of concave. Not really concave, but you know what I mean.

And of course, I need to take in deeper side seams.
Another alteration I've already made to Muslin 2 that worked is back neckline darts about 2 inches long. So the back is fine.
At this point I think I need to remove about 1/2 inch in width from the shoulder to the bustline on each side of the bodice front. I also need to take in deeper side seams. I think the darts are working now, but I won't really be able to tell until I take in the side seams.
If you see anything I've missed, please leave a comment! Help!

1 comment:

Linda T said...

I'm no expert in altering patterns, but I'm wondering if you added too much above the bust when grading your pattern up. You know how some people use there upper bust measurment rather than full bust to get the upper chest area to fit properly. Looks to me that the shoulder length of your muslin is too long (with fabric hanging off the shoulder). Just a thought.